Danelectro was founded by Nathan “Nat” Daniel in 1947. Throughout the late 1940s, the company produced amplifiers for Sears, Roebuck and Company and Montgomery Ward. In 1954, Danelectro started producing the Danelectro lines of solidbody electric guitars and amplifiers. The company was also contracted to make guitars and amplifiers that were branded not with the Danelectro name, but with the names of various store brands, such as Silvertone (Sears) and Airline (Montgomery Ward). Later Danelectro manufactured hollow-bodied guitars, which were constructed out of Masonite and plywood to save costs and increase production speed, and which were distinguished by Silvertone’s maroon vinyl covering, and Danelectro’s light tweed covering. The concentric stacked tone/volume knobs were used on the two-pickup models of both series, as well as the “lipstick-tube” pickups, which placed the entire pick-up mechanism into spare lipstick tubes. All the while Danelectro’s goal was to produce no-frills guitars of reasonably good tone at low cost.